Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Is it a sign of mental instability when my spirits are lifted by rainy, dreary weather? It has been in the low 60's all day, and it just started to rain, and I feel like the happiest girl in the world. But really, I am wondering if those checklists that you find in magazines that are titled "are you depressed?" or "could you be suffering from borderline personality disorder?" would include the line "I enjoy bleak weather". It seems that the common sense of the world is that if you can actually say you like this weather to be the norm, then you must be a crazy person. (I actually looked up borderline personality disorder, and I doubt that enjoying rain has anything to do with fearing abandonment, but you just never know.)

Most people thought that I was going to become depressed when I moved to Seattle, but really the weather there just enhanced all of my favorite memories. I would love to end up in the Pacific Northwest just for this reason- or England. From what I hear, England is pretty great too. And this is the first and foremost reason that I married Mike, because he loves this weather too. I could not marry a man who enjoyed 100 degree heat and 100% humidity, or who loved it when it snowed for days and your nostrils froze together when you went outside. Sick, absolutely sick. The relationship would never work.

It's even more wonderful when we get rainy weather in a place that is known for its wind and brown-ness. It's like sunshine on a cloudy day...only...the opposite.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

we got rain today too. and i had to drive when it was pouring, and i was splashing a lot in the puddles...i was a giddy little girl (:

oh, and do you not like me because i like freezing, snowy, nostrils-stuck-together weather? i have to admit, i get a funny sort of happy feeling when my nosehairs freeze.

Courtney said...

Heat+humidity=pure hell. And I live in it. I love the rain too...