Wednesday, January 17, 2007

way of the future

I just found out that there's not only one, but two other people that I work with waiting for their spouse/significant other to be accepted into a graduate program next fall. It's a little funny to me that there are three of us in the same boat, and there may be a miniature-mass exodus come August when we all head to some other part of the country with our academically-minded loved ones. At least, assuming that all three are accepted into programs and are funded if need be. It makes work life a little more interesting to wait and see who hears back in the next couple of months. Now that all of the applications are officially submitted, I am anxious to see what happens.

The only spot I was not so sure I'd like is South Bend, Indiana. I still doubt I'd like it that much, but the pluses of being near Canada, Lake Michigan, and Chicago help it out quite a bit. And the fact that it would be the most affordable area for us to live in. Atlanta is another iffy one, I guess. I haven't spent any time there, so I have no idea what to expect if that's where we go. At least it's a big city. Does it ever snow there? Right now I'd move anywhere where it does not snow, because I'm so done with the snow. Anyway, we will just wait and see what happens, and I know this waiting and seeing is going to feel like FOR-EV-ER, in the immortal words of Squints.

By the way, our trip to Europe and the U.A.E. was glorious, spectactular, exhausting, informative, and wonderful. I am writing somewhat of an epic novel about it, and I'm not sure what to do with it. Mostly I write it for my own memories, but I would like to post it on my blog. I think it may take about 3 hours to upload, though. Yikes. Either way, I will get something up.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Erin, I have to be honest and warn you that you probably won't like South Bend that much if you come here. Coming here from NY was really hard, but I have to say that after a year here, I'm having a much better time. You'll probably make friends and adapt whereever you go, and that's when it starts getting better.

We're waiting to hear back too...same as you. The thing that boggles my mind is how different our life will be / could be, depending on where we go. I've trained myself not to think about it, because it's completely speculative and futile. It would be really cool, though, if we wind up in the same place. : )

BTW, as someone from the south I can also say it NEVER snows in hot-lanta!