Thursday, September 14, 2006

the school experiment

The best thing about Mondays and Wednesdays for me is the fact that when I walk to my class in the afternoon, the kids from the lab school are just getting out for the day. (Lab school: the university's own grade school, where education students can essentially practice their teaching skills. The idea is a good one, but the name is just terrible- I imagine mice in pinafores, taking apples to their teachers.)

Although the name could use a revamp, I love getting to see all the little elementary-aged kids at the end of their day, telling their moms or dads about what they did, sometimes trucking home some project they worked on, usually hefting around a backpack that is almost bigger than them. I miss those days, when I would get home at 3, and eat a snack and watch cartoons. But I am excited that someday I will be the mom with the snack, asking how the day went.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

i was at church during the day yesterday, and saw the afternoon pre-schoolers getting there, and had the exact same reaction. there was a little girl with a red backback with flowers on it, and she could barely walk normally because it was so big compared to her. *sigh*...i love kids.